Need help from Texas..desperate

Discussion in 'Brisbane General Chat & Discussion' started by Nestor Salazar, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Nestor Salazar

Nestor Salazar New Member

Hello guys and gals! I met the most wonderful girl from Australia last year while in Hawaii. We hit if off real nicely and kept texting and chatting after the holidays ended and she went back to Brisbane and I to Texas. A few months later I visited her in Brisbane and we had a blast! I loved the city, the people, Fraser Island, and most importantly I fell for her and she fell for me. After 2 weeks in Australia I went back to Texas and I missed her a lot. 2 months later we decided to meet in Japan for Holidays during December to spend Christmas and New Year's together. Now I'm back in Texas and I miss her so much.

Now I want to move to be with her. The problem is that I do not have a Visa to work in Australia and it seems like applying for one will take forever if at all possible. The reason is because I am an IT and there isn't a high demand to outside hires for it right now. I've been looking for companies that would be willing to sponsor me with a Visa and it's really hard to find.

The reason I'm here is that I wanted to see if anyone here knows of anyone or can sponsor me to come work in Brisbane. I've been a network administrator/help desk support technician since I was 18 years old. At 18, I joined the U.S. Navy as an IT where I served on active duty until 22. After my honorable discharge from the military I joined the civilian workforce where I've been working as a network administrator/help desk support for an additional 11 years (I'm 33 at the moment). I've never been in trouble with the law, I have excellent work ethics, I am dedicated to my mission, and most importantly I am ready to do anything to be with her.

I do not have to have a job as an IT. I can adjust to anything and I am a very fast learner. If anyone here owns a company or knows someone that does, please help me if you can. I will be very grateful and will pay the cost of the sponsorship fee. I would be so grateful if anyone could help me by sponsoring me with a working visa. I have a resume to provide if needed. Thank you so much for taking your time to read these and I look forward to hearing from anyone that can help me. Cheers from Dallas, Texas.....Nestor

2. Lukescotty

Lukescotty Administrator Staff Member

Hi Nestor! Welcome to the forum!

It is incredible hard to get a visa, 'talking with experience' and it can be quite overwhelming when looking through all the visa requirements. Having spent months and months of looking through visa requirements I maybe able to point you in the right direction!

First off, network engineers can get a visa via Skills Select. Its just whether you fit the criteria or not.

a few questions. Do you have a degree/qualification in networking? how many years in the last years can you prove that you've been a network engineer?

Take alook at this https://more.acs.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/7641/ANZSCO-Descriptions-2015.pdf

and see where you fit under.

This is going via the General skilled migration visa (permanent residency) rather than looking for a sponsorship 457

Regards
    Luke

3. Nestor Salazar

Nestor Salazar New Member

Luke,

I'd like to start by thanking you for your reply and your welcoming into the forum. Well, unfortunately I do not have a degree at the moment and the only certification I have is the Security+ certification by COMPTIA but I do not know if that certification is valued or recognized in Australia. After looking at the ANZSCO list your provided above, it is my believe that "262113 - Systems Administrator" is the best fit for my experience.

I've only completed about 2.5 years of my 4 year degree so I'm too far from completing it to use it or to try and finish it relatively quickly. However, I spoke to the college where I was attending and they informed me that if I take 1 more class I would be able to at least get an Associates Degree in Science (a general science degree). I could easily take that class but I'm not sure of how beneficial it would be for my application.

How did you have to prove the years you had under a certain skill level? I assume a letter from a supervisor would work? What about past jobs where the supervisor has also moved on from?

Your reply gives me hope and I'm truly thankful for your reply and help.

With regards from Dallas, Texas,

Nestor

4. Lukescotty

Lukescotty Administrator Staff Member

Hey

no worries, things are still pretty fresh with the whole process. The main thing about going through skilled migration 189 is points points points! you get x amount points for age, work experience, quals etc, google Australian visa points calculator and see where you at, but don't lie to yourself as you'll have to proof each set of points & the nominated occupation requires X amount of points. But we'll have to check.

In my situation, although similar to yours but different occupations. I didn't have any qualifications in the nominated occupation, but i had 9-10 years experience. So i had to get a skills assessment done, which resulted in (after providing lots of proof of work, bank statements, references, practical exam and interview etc) a level 4 Australian recognized Qual which would gain me the extra points. (the points I needed to fulfill the 60 totals points I was chasing)

Many qualficiations aren't recognised from overseas therefore you have to have a skills assessment anyway, or transfer them to an Australia Recognized one (recognition of prior learning)

I used Vetassess, a company which deals with trade skills. in your case I think its acs.org.au for the IT area.

Theres going to be alot of reading for you on this website. have alook at page 4 on this pdf https://more.acs.org.au/__data/asse...ills-Assessment-Guidelines-for-Applicants.pdf

If I was in your shoes, I'd first off, use a migration points calculator for points.

head over to immi.gov.au and see how many points you need under the GSM (general skill migration) to qualify for that nominated occupation

jump onto acs.org.au and have alook to see if you meet/ qualifiy their requirements in order to gain a qual from your years of experience.

another route which I'm not very familiar with is. could you do your last year of your degree in Australia? This would mean coming over as a student, (20 hours max part time job) + student fees etc. but gaining a degree at the end of it, would this then be an australian one? Im not too clued up in that area.

Keep reading, write stuff down, don't get confused (but you probably will, as does everyone)

Would be a great idea to visit a migration agent too, to see what they have to say. I don't know if your planning on doing it all by yourself?

Kind Regards
    Luke