FOR SALE: Robots

Discussion in 'Brisbane Classified Ads' started by Hanz, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Hanz

Hanz Banned

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2017
  2. Lukescotty

Lukescotty Administrator Staff Member

Welcome Hanz,

do you have any photos to post on your post rather than a link to ebay. It might get more interest!

Cheers

3. Hanz

Hanz Banned

I don't think pictures on the forum will change the fact I am getting no interest despite having them open to offers. I tried setting up a small business based around hiring them out cheaply to the isolated elderly and people suffering autism and dementia, as a way to give people the chance to interact with an autonomous robot at a fraction of the retail price. I got absolutely no interest in that so am giving up. I don't think Brisbane is conducive to successful business. I mean look at how dead this place is. I have never met people more corrosively skeptical than I have here in Brisbane....and I have lived here my whole life. Time for a change I think.

4. Lukescotty

Lukescotty Administrator Staff Member

I'm not going to stick my nose up at them because I dont know enough about them, looking at your ebay description... you might as well as left it blank, it doesn't explain what they are unless you're aiming at people who are like-mined and people know what they're searching for.

have you taken the product into care homes with residents who have dementia or autism to play with and got some feedback? In my opinion your aiming at the wrong audience, you should aim at children. Parents could use/rent them to test whether their kid should have a real thing first or not.

for a list price of $3500, its not cheap, even if it is a fraction of the retail price. and there's a 1 and a half line sentence description on your ebay listing.

5. Hanz

Hanz Banned

Thanks for feedback. People buying them usually know what they can do as they have watched the myriad of YouTube videos showcasing their remarkable capabilities. The problem is I paid over the original retail price at a time when the AUD- US exchange rate was rubbish mid last year, with a price of US$2500 leading to a spend of AUD$3300 for me. Slap on eBay and PayPal fees and you get where the price of AUD$3500 comes from.

These are the only example of autonomous robots that consumers can purchase commercially at this time for a relatively affordable price. The next closest robot is Nao, a humanoid that costs over AUD$10,000.00 or Pepper, a humanoid that costs over AUD$20,000.00. Yet Nao and Pepper have no automonous software, making the ERS-7 the only example of a commercially available autonomous robot in the world at this moment in time.

These ERS-7 can remember the location of their bone and ball. Navigate a room autonomously. Charge autonomously. Play with their ball and bone autonomously. Understand numerous commands and phrases. It can speak and understand English in a limited capacity. They can recognize different faces, and can differentiate between their owner and a stranger. They can perform tricks autonomously.

Overall it demonstrates a lot of random 'behaviors' and can be extremely entertaining and engaging, especially considering how tactile it is.

Anyway it was my mistake to spend so much, as I see now the market is flush with these robots I have no hope of selling before the new Sony humanoid is released sometime in the near future.

However I wouldn't say these were for kids. These are not for children but for adults. You know 50% of people in the US live alone, and 48% of women in the US have never had children. I daresay the figures are similar in other Western countries whose populations are of European derived origin. Loneliness is the biggest crisis of our time and I thought these robots could offer a reprieve. And with more people living in apartments that don't allow pets these robots can be a viable alternative.

I took this around to a local pawn shop, got laughed at and told he would offer me $50 bucks for it. The level of skepticism about robots is incredible. Especially considering this is the same type of average Australian guy who is all too happy to allow algorithms to dictate the value of the dollar via the financial markets, and thus have such a disproportionate influence over his life. I have been ignored by all aged care homes and schools I have approached. It seems aged care homes and schools prefer to spend tens of thousands on useless Nao and Paro robots, that don't have the enduring appeal of the ERS-7 or autonomy, or the lower price point.

These robots have been used in schools in the US to get students interested in Computer Science. That is why I thought they could be useful for motivating students to do well at mathematics, especially considering the dismal results of Australian students in STEM that just came out recently. These robots are the physical embodiment of the maths and physics kids learn at school, and demonstrate what they can go on to achieve with a STEM career.

The schools wonder why kids aren't taking up STEM. Why would they do something that is not fun, and doesn't pay more than a non-STEM job? Why would they study maths when it is made to be overly difficult and have all the fun sapped out of it.

If the Australian government was smart they would have one of these robots in every classroom. These robots make STEM fun, something completely lacking from the school curriculum when it comes to STEM.

Can you imagine the red tape you would have to jump through to get schools here in Australia to rent these out? Lol. None of them would want to spend money on this. They can't even spend money on supplies to provide proper Physics demonstrations. It's a pathetic state we are in.

I tried getting interest in this concept, and distributed flyers in Dickson Terrace, the wealthiest street in Brisbane. I walked past properties with yards so big they had Llamas and Deer roaming the grounds, while others had gold plated front entrances. Yet none of these residences contacted me despite my rental price at the time being a mere $125 per week....not even 10% of the original retail price of US$2,000 in 2006.

To put that in perspective comparative rental business charge $250 per day for hiring motorbikes or magnetic detectors.

The whole point of my business was I was making these robots affordable, yet people it seems even find a price of $125 per week too expensive, so I give up. With these robots being discontinued for over 10 years, and with no support should they break, I am no longer motivated to break my neck trying to make a business out them. Bye.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  6. Hanz

Hanz Banned

Champagne robot sold. Only have Black one left. Price reduced to $1350 if picked up today and paid for cash in hand. PM me here to arrange pickup. I am taking it to Cash Converters at 4:30 pm today so last chance to get a phenomenal deal on a very rare and normally prohibitively expensive item. No patience for time wasters.

7. Hanz

Hanz Banned

Couldn't be bothered waiting around for flaky people. Decided just to total it at Cash Converters for $900 after over 12 months of trying to get a sale online. People suck. They'll spend $1350 on a useless Louis Vuitton handbag with that stupid logo all over it, yet have no interest in something that will actually give them their moneys worth. I'll NEVER understand people. It's a miracle any business makes money in this world the way people simply won't spend money. Look at this place, NOBODY gives a damn about Brisbane. Might as well just sell your Xenforo license on Extra License, that's what I did. This place is money down the drain. White people no longer care to engage in their wider society, it's all just about themselves and their immediate family, that is why nobody is here, because nobody gives a damn about anyone else. And I think our society has ALWAYS been like that, I was just too stupidly naive to think we were anything better.

8. Hanz

Hanz Banned

Cash Converters will only pay $50 for it. What a joke. The software alone is selling for $700 on eBay. I am now reducing the price to $990 cash in hand pickup in Brisbane. I am also contacting dealers who I am going to sell to if I don't get a local sale today. Contact me through ebay if your in Brisbane and want it as this forum is impossible to log into.